Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Visuals - Optical Illusion


"Tower"

"Nautilus"

"Shapes2"

"Tower"- Color version

"Nautilus" - Color version

"Shapes2" - Color version

Artist Statement

“Optical Illusion” is the sixth in a series of compositions to be developed for my thesis. In reality I was to explore Anomalous Motion illusion but found myself instead looking at other types of optical illusions. Anomalous Motion illusion is characterized by anomalous motion that can be observed in peripheral vision. I have the one that I created at the start of the course but the others do not move. This week was a challenge but one that I gladly faced. I have a wide range of illusions and plan to continue this exploration into this specific topic as I progress through my studio classes.

Again the compositions are an exploration into grunge and retro though I did have to step a little away from that so that there was not too much competition with the illusions. Upon completion of the body of work it is my intentions to have people view the compositions to see how they perceive them. All compositions will be presented in grayscale since color plays too big of a role in influencing the viewer though there will be a gallery that will show the colored version for those that are curious. I have not lacked for ideas this week and I can see Divine Proportion appearing in my work now; it will be interesting to tie it all together. I had the good fortune to show some of these pieces to some new viewers and had nothing but favorable feedback and interesting insights into my compositions.

Works Cited:

AU. “Gestalt” Dictionary.com (2008) .

No comments:

Post a Comment